Monday, September 17, 2012

Eating Healthy (and Still Enjoying It) on the Road

Above:  Some healthy breakfast offerings (fruit, yoghurts, cottage cheese) and Hummus Trio plate
both from Hyatt Place (our El Paso Airport location)
As Texas Mountain Trail Director, I'm on the road almost half the time for long stretches of the year, and I try to stay healthy and still enjoy all my travels.  Don't get me wrong:  I love indulgences, and will be the first to pull up a chair to barbecue, peach cobbler, and plate of our wonderful regional tacos.  But I also like a balance too, and very much appreciate alternatives that help me stay fit when I travel. 

If I'm feeling the need to "go light," and I'm staying at a B&B I often mention this when I check in, and in the morning--more often than not--they'll provide a breakfast alternative for me. 

One of our organization's long-time friends is El Paso's Hyatt Place near the airport.  They were one of our very first Texas Mountain Trail cycle-friendly properties, and they always offer great service to their guests.  They've always provided healthy alternatives at breakfast I enjoy like fruit and yoghurt, steel-cut oatmeal and cereals.  (And some indulgences too!)  They're one of 15 properties nationwide to offer a new menu, which has my new fav dinner after a long day of travel...their Hummus Plate  (A trio of Red Pepper, Roasted Garlic and Basil Pesto Hummus, served with Kalamata Olives, Pepperoncini, Fire Roasted Peppers, Warm Herb Flatbread & Carr’s Crackers)

For more ideas on how to stay healthy on the road, check out my blog on staying fit, www.onefoottostart.blogspot.com

--Beth Nobles, Texas Mountain Trail Executive Director

No comments: