One of the many (nearly) hidden charms of El Paso is in the heart of downtown....the stained glass dome by Tiffany at the Camino Real Hotel, across from the Museum of Art. Originally, the Paso del Norte Hotel, the building was designed by renowned El Paso architect Henry Trost. It cost about $1.5 million to construct and opened on Nov. 24, 1912. The Tiffany dome is 25 feet wide and two stories above the floor. It is now the central meeting point at the hotel's bar.
During the revolution Pancho Villa, New York radical journalist John Reed, Gen. Alvaro Obregón and General John Pershing either stayed at or attended conferences here. In 1914, former Chihuahuan Gov. Luis Terrazas and his family, along with their 27 servants, rented the entire top floor.
You can learn more about the hotel and its role in the Mexican Revolution here, where the hotel appears on a wonderful historical walking tour. We like the audio features about each of the walking tour's stops!