Five miles south of Marathon, there's a special little place, called Post Park. The park, a project of the WPA and built in the 1930s is a favorite of local residents, and it is used for picnics, dances and fishing.
During the 19th century, Comanches camped here on raids to Mexico. To deter raids--and to protect supply wagons enroute to Fort Davis--the U.S. Army established Camp Pena Colorado at the watering hole in 1880. Famous Buffalo Soldier Lt. Henry O. Flipper served here before the post was closed in 1893.