Fort Davis National Historic Site. Here are a few more shots from a tour of the fort offered by the National Park Service. To learn more about this wonderful place and amazing resource, click here.
From the National Park Service's website, "Named for Secretary of War Jefferson Davis, the fort was first garrisoned by Lieutenant Colonel Washington Seawell and six companies of the Eighth U.S. Infantry. The post was located in a box canyon near Limpia Creek on the eastern side of the Davis Mountains--where wood, water, and grass were plentiful. From 1854 to 1861 , troops of the Eighth Infantry spent much of their time in the field pursuing Comanches, Kiowas, and Apaches."